Covid 19 Information for Students
The safety and wellbeing of our students and staff is vitally important to us at Skegness College and we do our very best to ensure that our centres are covid secure. All our staff are dedicated to preventing the spread of the virus, and our students need to help by following the rules when they are in college – these rules are:
SYMPTOMS OF COVID 19
The key symptoms are a high temperature, a new and continuous cough and loss/change of taste and smell. If you have any of these symptoms, or you have any cold or flu symptoms, DO NOT come into college. If anyone in your household has these symptoms DO NOT come into college.
If you have these symptoms you should book a test by phoning 119 or via the NHS website. If you become seriously ill you should phone 999 to get medical help.
If you are not sure what to do please phone the centre you attend for help and guidance.
PREVENTION AND CONTROL OF COVID 19
Life at college is very different from previous years for both students and staff. The only way to prevent the spread of Covid 19 is by:
- Social distancing, this means staying 2m apart or 1m apart if wearing a face covering
- Wearing a face covering in enclosed places like shops, banks, takeaways
- Frequent hand washing throughout the day and for at least 20 seconds
- Use of hand sanitisers when you cannot wash your hands
- Use a tissue when you cough or sneeze (catch it, bin it, kill it)
- Do not touch your face, eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
The rules for students are:
- When you arrive at college wash your hands or use the hand sanitiser at the cleaning station inside the entrance door. Hand sanitisers are also provided in the classrooms.
- We are going to ask you to wear a face covering. This may be a disposable mask or a face visor depending on your learning programme. Disposable masks are provided at the cleaning station OR you can wear your own mask (if washable please make sure it is clean every day)
- You need to tell us if you have a medical condition which means you cannot wear a face covering
- In hair and beauty courses you will need to wear a face mask and visor when doing practical sessions
- Please dispose of face masks in the covered bins provided
- Please go straight to your classroom and keep a safe distance from other people
- If you are given a pencil case to use during your course and we will ask you to wipe it down at the end of the session and place it on the shelf provided
- Tissues are provided in all classrooms so please use them if you cough, sneeze or need to blow your nose. Put used tissues in the covered bins provided and then wash your hands or use hand sanitiser.
Please only attend college on the days and times set out in your timetable. When your class has finished please leave the college immediately. This is to avoid crowding around college buildings and to accommodate other students arriving for their classes.
If parents/carers need to see you whilst you are at college they must knock on the front door and wait to be seen.
It may be necessary for you to do some of your college work at home. This may be written assignments that you need to do, or teaching sessions with your tutor via zoom or google classroom, or doing research. If you do not have access to any digital device at home, or you do not have broadband or wifi at home you will need to tell us so that we can try and help you to access this technology. Students eligible for bursary may be able to get help with this.
Wherever possible we are encouraging students to walk, cycle or be driven to college as there is an increased risk of infection from using public transport. However, we know that many families have no option but to use public transport. For all students we ask that you wash your hands thoroughly when you arrive at college to reduce the risk of infection.
THANK YOU FOR HELPING TO PREVENT THE SPREAD OF COVID 19
Carole L Cameron
Dated: 08 December 2020